Steamtown National Historic Site Visit www.nps.gov/stea for train schedule or call 570.340.5200
• The "Scranton Limited:" Wed.-Sun. 30 minute rides depart from Roundhouse boarding area Wed., 10:30 & 11:30 a.m., 1:30 & 2:15 p.m. A historic steam locomotive operates Thurs.-Sun. 10:30 & 11:30 a.m., 1:30 & 2:15 p.m. $3 per person, all ages 6+.
Coal Cracker Cruisers Car Club
• Cruise Nights at Advance Auto (Rt. 6, Carbondale): May 4, June 1, July 6, Aug. 3, Sept. 7, 6-9 p.m. Food, music, door prizes, 50/50, trophies. Food by Boy Scout Troop 888. Info: 570.876.4034
• 14th Annual Car Show: Sept. 16, gates open 9 a.m., Carbondale High School. Info: 570.876.4034
Gunners PA Law Enforcement MC ( email@example.com, $20/rider, $10/passenger unless noted otherwise)
• Project Fallen Ride: May 5, registration 10 a.m.-noon. Begins/ends Jefferson Park, Pittston, ends Outsiders, Wilkes-Barre. Benefits individuals, families of law enforcement, corrections officers, military, fire/EMS fallen in the line of duty or on hard times. Food, entertainment to follow.
• Coats and Shoes for Kids Ride: June 9, registration 10 a.m.-noon. Begins/ends Jefferson Park, corner N. Main St. and New St., Pittston. Benefits Pittston Coats for Kids. Food, entertainment to follow. Accepting coats, shoes.
• Ride for Ruth's Place: July 21, registration 10 a.m.-noon, details to be set. Benefits Ruth's Place. Food, entertainment to follow.
• Gunners Cancer Ride: Aug. 11, registration 10 a.m.-noon. Begins/ends Jefferson Park, corner N. Main St. and New St., Pittston. Benefits Homechek and Hull, whose families have been affected by cancer, and cancer research.
• Phantom Rider Program: If unable to make it to ride, donate $10 passenger fee and new stuffed animal, which will go to children in need, any left end of season go to Toys For Tots. Send to Gunners 11 Hemlock Dr., Tunkhannock, PA 18657.
Middle Of Nowhere Scooter Club ( MiddleOfNowhereSC@yahoo.com, facebook.com/middleofnowheresc)
• Rally: April 27-29, Stroudsburg.
8th Annual Moonlight Walk/Run April 29, Nay Aug Park, Scranton. Registration/family festival, 3 p.m.; Kid's Fun Run, 5 p.m.; 5K and 10K Walkers' start, 5:30 p.m.; 5K and 10K Runners' start, 6 p.m.; award ceremony, 7:15 p.m. Festival includes kid's activities, educational tables, DJ, Pennsylvania Masonic Child ID program, themed basket raffle. Benefits Children's Advocacy Center of NEPA. Registration forms at 1710 Mulberry St., Scranton, active.com, neparunner.org. Info: 570.969.7313
American Cancer Society
• 14th Annual Relay For Life of Wyoming Valley: June 16-17, King's College Betzler Fields, Wilkes-Barre Twp. Info: relayforlife.org/pawyomingvalley.
American Lung Association
• Fight For Air Walk: June 9, 10 a.m., King's College, Betzler Field, Wilkes-Barre. Dry walk route or Water Sprinkler Route. Ice cream social to follow. Sign up online at lunginfo.org/wbwalk. Info: 570.823.2212, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Autism Coalition of Luzerne County
• Fundraiser: April 12, 6-9 p.m., River Grille, Wilkes-Barre. • Candlelight Vigil/Walk and Awareness Fair: Vigil April 20, 6 p.m., Luzerne County Court House (200 N. River St., Wilkes-Barre). Walk/fair: April 21, registration 8:30 a.m., walk 10 a.m., begins at Forty Fort Recreation Complex (2009 Wyoming Ave.). Info: 570.760.3952
Big Brothers Big Sisters
• 30th Annual Bowl for Kids' Sake: April 21, noon, 1:30 p.m., Valley Lanes. More money raised, more prizes won. Register at bbbsnepa.org. All teams must pre-register. Info: 800.955.4376.
Carnival of Hope May 5, 1-5 p.m., VFW Post 283 (757 Wyoming Ave., Kingston). Free, family-friendly. Entertainment by Magic of Bill Dickson, The Dancers Warehouse, Ronald McDonald, Exit Sixxx, juggler Mike Simon. Tarot readings, food, beverage, bake sale, basket raffles, games for purchase. For info, contact NepaCarnivalofhope@gmail.com. Proceeds benefit NEPA Center Cancer Wellness, Candy's Place.
A Celebration of Music April 14, 7 p.m., Lackawanna Trail Jr/Sr High School. Donations at door. Featuring original band compositions. Benefits LTHS Music Dept. Info/to donate: email@example.com.
Greater Pittston YMCA Susquehanna Stride Half Marathon & 5K May 27
High Five Charity Auction May 15, 5:30 p.m., Desaki Restaurant (Rte. 611, Swiftwater). $35. Chance to bid on commercial real estate, travel, entertainment, more. American Red Cross, Monroe County Habitat for Humanity, Pocono Services for Families and Children, The Salvation Army, United Way of Monroe County. For info/tickets, call 570.421.7466, visit highfivecharityauction.com.
Jean and Pete Memorial 5K Run/Walk and Mile Memory Walk April 14, 8 a.m., Valley Playland, Athens. $20/registration. $10 memory walk. All proceeds benefit Nancy Quatrini Fund, National Breast Cancer Foundation. Register at jeanandpete.ettend.com, mail to "Jean and Pete Memorial Event," 605 Desmond St., Sayre, Pa 18840. Info: 607.857.6659
Junior Leadership Wilkes-Barre
• "Catching for Kids Ultimate Frisbee Tournament:" April 15, registration 1 p.m., competition 2 p.m., Kirby Park. Open to high school freshman-seniors, teams of 10. $5/member, additional $5 for T-shirts, benefits WVCA. For info, contact Neela Patel at 570.357.7672 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Night for Nick April 28, 5-10 p.m., Adventure Zone, Scranton. $25. To honor Army Specialist Nick Staback, injured in Afghanistan. Seeking: Items for raffles, food donations, paper products. To make monetary donation, make check to "A Night for Nick," mail to P.O. Box 67 Archbald, PA 18403. Proceeds go to Nick and family. Info, to donate: email@example.com, 570.878.0757.
Pauly Friedman 5K Family Walk Run Aug. 12, registration 8:30 a.m., Misericordia University. Post-event party, Banks Student Life Center, John & Mary Metz Dining Hall. For info call Family Service Association of Wyoming Valley, 570.823.5144 ext. 309.
Salvation Army of Wilkes-Barre (17 S. Pennsylvania Ave., Wilkes-Barre, 570.824.8741)
• 8th Annual Silent Auction and Indoor Flea Market: April 14, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. 40+ vendors, 100 silent auction items, bake sale, concession items.
Shine a Light for Autism Campaign by New Story through April 30. New Story locations selling blue-colored light bulbs, $3, asking them to be displayed outside homes or businesses. Raise awareness/funds for autism research, programs. Info: newstory.com
Spring into Action Benefit for Earl Gilsky April 14, 2-10 p.m., VFW Post 283 (757 Wyoming Ave., Kingston). $10 donation, includes food, drinks (beer), live entertainment. Under 5 free. Basket raffles, 50/50 chances, vendors. Gilsky is a veteran, battling stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Tickets at door, by calling 570.371.7294.
Susquehanna Flood Relief Benefit Concert May 6, 2 p.m., LadoreCampPavilion (287 Owego Turnpike, Waymart). $10 at door, at 570.253.1982. Students enter by donation. Other donations welcome. Make checks to "The Salvation Army West Pittston," "Susq. Benefit" in memo, mail to: The Salvation Army West Pittston, 214 Luzerne Avenue, West Pittston, PA 18643. Attention: Major Sheryl Hershey. Benefits Susquehanna flood victims.
Victims Resource Center (71 North Franklin St, 570.823.0765, www.vrcnepa.org)
• 32nd Annual Mock Rape Trial: April 11, 6 p.m., King's College Sheehy-Farmer Campus Center. This year's program titled "It's Time … To Talk About Breaking the Silence: Child Sexual Abuse." Free, reservations requested.
Walk to Cure Type 1 Diabetes May 5, registration 9:30 a.m., walk 10 a.m., Montrose, meet Pump 'n' Pantry. 3.5 miles. Info: walktocurejuvenilediabetes.org, 570.289.4062. Proceeds benefit Type 1 Diabetes Research Foundation.
WFTE FM 90.3/105.7 Get On the Air Benefit Concerts
• Drew Kelly: April 14, Chestnut Street Tavern, Dunmore.
• Healthy Kids Day: April 28, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., YMCA (40 W. Northampton St, Wilkes-Barre). Healthy-snack making, gardening, swimming, fitness classes, appearance by W-B Fire Department Fire Safety Smoke House. Call 570.823.2191 ext. 222, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for info.
• 26th Annual Night at the Races: May 17, doors 6 p.m., post time 7 p.m., Mohegan Sun at Pocono Downs. $15 GA, $20 Clubhouse (tables of 4), includes racehorse. Free food, refreshments. 8 races, chance to win in auction race. Tickets: 570.823.2191 ext 127. Proceeds benefit youth services programming.
Wyoming Valley Children's Association (570.288.4350)
• Do It for the Kids 5K Run: April 25, River Common at Millennium Circle, Wilkes-Barre. Registration 5 p.m., 5k start, 6 p.m., awards ceremony, 6:45 p.m. Info: 570.714.1246, email@example.com.
• Walk-a-Thon: April 28, registration 9 a.m. walk 10 a.m., awards/post-walk celebration 10:45 a.m., WVCA Pre-School (1133 Wyoming Ave., Forty Fort). Info: 570.714.1246, firstname.lastname@example.org.
2nd Annual Clifton R. Lewis Good Life Foundation: Celebrity Basketball Game Dunk Contest & 3-Point Shootout April 28, doors 6:30 p.m., Greater Nanticoke Area High School (425 Kosciuszko St., Nanticoke). $7 donation. NFL players, musicians, half court, shot contest, Steve Mclendon, Michael "AirDogg" Stewart.
7th Annual Mothers Day Intertribal Powwow May 12-13, 10 a.m., Noxen Fire Co. grounds, Stull Road, Noxen. Free admission. Circle hours, noon-4 p.m.,6-10 p.m. Sat., noon-5 p.m. Sun. All drums welcome. Native American dancing, drumming, CDs, jewelry, beading supplies, food, more. Trade blanket, "49" dancing Sat. p.m. Dogs welcome, must be leashed, cleaned up after. Bring lawn chair. Alcohol, drugs, guns, politics prohibited. Electricity, $5/day up front. Volunteers needed, call 570.947.2097, e-mail Wisteria18704@yahoo.com. Benefits Noxen Fire Co.
10th Annual Great Valley Technology Alliance Business Plan Competition May 2, cocktail hour 5:30 p.m., awards dinner 6:30 p.m., Mohegan Sun at Pocono Downs. Info: nepbpc.com
22nd Annual Northeastern Pennsylvania Postal Customer Council Golf Tournament June 5, Sand Springs Country Club (10 Clubhouse Dr., Drums). Registration 8:30 a.m., shotgun 10 a.m. Captain and crew, $85 includes green fees, motor cart, steak dinner. Prizes. $55/golf only, $30/dinner only, reservations, payments must be made before May 22, NEPAPCC.com. Info: 570.831.3420
American Legion Mountain Post 781 (Mountain Top)
• 3rd Annual Flea Market: May 6, 7 a.m.-5 p.m. $10 under cover with table, $5 yard BYOT, public welcome. To register call 570.332.5658.
April Show with The Magics, Kaelyn Marie & Texas Jeff April 21, 6-11 p.m., St. Joseph's Hall (May St., Jenkins Twp.). $35, includes buffet 6:45-8 p.m., beer, wine, soda free. No tickets at door. Blondie from B.P. Catering. Call 570.457.7665, 342.4923.
Back Mountain Chamber
• Business and Community Expo: April 18, 4-7 p.m., Misericordia University. To register, call 570.675.9380, visit BackMountainChamber.org. Back Mountain Historical Association event, 7-9 p.m.
Bloomsburg Theatre Ensemble (Alvina Krause Theatre, 226 Center St., Bloomsburg, 570.784.8181, 800.282.0283, bte.org)
• The Taming of the Brew: April 14, 7-11 p.m., Caldwell Consistory, Bloomsburg. $75, exclusively for sale online, 4/customer. Fundraiser featuring microbrews, food, entertainment, beer- tasting talk, silent auction, 50/50 raffle. Info: tamingofthebrew.org.
Browndale Fire Co. (Route 247, 620 Marion St., Browndale, 43fire.com)
• Homemade Pierogi For Sale: donation $6/dozen. Potato and cheese. To order, contact any member, call 570.499.4908, e-mail email@example.com, go online.
Choral Arts of Luzerne County ( www.choralartslc.org)
• Spring Concerts: April 28, 7:30 p.m., Presbyterian Church (97 S. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre); April 29, 3 p.m., Christ Lutheran Church (210 W. Green St., Hazleton). $15/adults, $10/students, seniors, tickets at door, in advance from chorus members or by sending check payable to Choral Arts of Luzerne County, 190 South Sprague Ave., Kingston.
Clifford United Methodist Church (Main St. Clifford)
• Chicken-n-Biscuit or Ham Dinner: April 24, 4-6 p.m. Take out or dine, $7.95 donation, dinner, dessert, drink.
Comedy Stand-Off Top 12 perform April 12 Clarion Hotel & The Hub Lounge (300 Meadow Ave., Scranton). Top 5 picked by Scott Bruce for a show, date TBA.
Common Threads April 12, Chestnut Street Tavern, Dunmore.
Conyngham United Methodist Church (411 Main Street, Conyngham, 570.788.3960, conynghamumc.com)
• Sisters: Tues., 10 a.m. Beth Moore study, "Jesus, the One and Only." All women welcome.
Dietrich Theater (60 E. Tioga Street, Tunkhannock, 570.996.1500, www.dietrichtheater.com) calendar of events:
■ Kids Classes:
• Quilting for Kids: "Monkey's Wrench:" Wed., through June 13, 3:30-5 p.m. Ages 6+. $6/class. Call to register.
• All About Poetry and Sculpture: Ages 5-8: April 11, 18, 25, 4-5:30 p.m.; Ages 9-12, April 12, 19, 26, 4-5:30 p.m. $35/4 classes. Call to register.
• Young Art: Pottery for Preschoolers: April 12, 19, 26, 10-10:45 a.m. Ages 4-5. $35. Call to register.
• Mask Making: Ages 5-8, May 2, 9, 16, 23, 4-5:30 p.m.; Ages 9-12, May 3, 10, 17, 24, 4-5:30 p.m. $40/4 classes. Call to register.
• Young at Art: Mask Making for Preschoolers: May 3, 10, 17, 24, 10-10:45 a.m. Ages 4-5. $35. Call to register.
■ Intergenerational Classes:
• Golden Days of Radio Players: Tues., through May 22, 7-9 p.m. Free. Call to register.
• Quilting for Everyone: "Arrowhead Star:" Wed., through June 13, 6-7:30 p.m. Ages 6+. $6/class. Call to register.
• Open Studio and Portfolio Prep: Tues., 7-8:30 p.m. April 17, 24; May 1, 8, 15, 22; ongoing, $15/class, $60/all classes. Call to register.
■ Adult Classes:
• Pottery for Beginners: Wed., 7-8:30 p.m. Series 1: April 11, 18, 25; Series 2: May 2, 9, 16, 23; Series 3: May 30, June 6, 20, 27. Ages 13+. $60/class. Call to register.
• Decorative Painting: April 11, 18, 25, May 16, 23, 30. Ages 16+. $20/class plus cost of painting surface. Pre-registration required, call to register.
• Knit a Ruffled Scarf: April 23, 7-9 p.m. Ages 16+. $35. Call to register.
• Design a Painted Silk Scarf: May 7, 7-9 p.m. $35, all materials provided. No experience needed. Call to register.
• Photography for Beginners: May 7, 14, 21, June 4, 7-9 p.m.; Jun. 2, 1-3 p.m. Ages 16+. $75. Call to register.
• Titanic Memorabilia Exhibit: through April. Free.
• Tom Knight Puppet Show: April 19, 1:30 p.m. Free. Call for details.
• Philadelphia Art and History Bus Trip: May 3, bus departs from theater 8 a.m., returns 11 p.m. $110, includes bus, museum, exhibit admission, map, does not include meals. Audio tour of "Van Gogh Up Close." Call for reservations.
• Children's Movie: May 5, 11 a.m. Free, includes free popcorn, soda, in loving memory of "Jeeterbug" from Kinter Family. Tickets at door or can be reserved, call.
• Classical Guitar Greatest Hits: May 6, 3 p.m. $10, students free, presented by Jay Stevesky.
• Dietrich Theater Player's Performance: May 22, 7 p.m. Free, tickets at door, can be reserved. Live performance of favorite radio play, call for info.
• Tango: Movie and Lesson: May 27, movie 1 p.m., dance lesson at Father Nallin Hall. $10. Call to register.
Spring 2012 Film Festival (April 13-26, excluding opening night gala, $8 before 6 p.m., $9 evenings. Visit website for movies and show times):
• Opening Night Gala: April 13, 5:30 p.m. Hors d'oeuvres by Epicurean Delight, Twigs Restaurant, Seasons Restaurant; wine by Nimble Hill Vineyard & Winery; desserts by Epicurean Delight. $35, reserved seating available.
• "The Kid With a Bike:" Opening Night Gala (reservation required) April 13, 7 p.m.; April 14, 4:35 p.m.; April 16, 7:30 p.m.; April 21, 7 p.m.; April 25, noon.
"The Women on the Sixth Floor:" Opening Night Gala (reservation required) April 13, 10 p.m.; April 18, 7 p.m.; April 21, noon; April 25, 7 p.m.
• Jeffrey Jacobs to host free discussion: April 14, 10:30 a.m.
• Mid-Festival Movie Discussion: April 21, 11 a.m. Free, registration not required.
Dorrance Twp. Volunteer Fire Co.
• Pancake & Sausage Breakfast/Bake Sale: April 15, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Take-outs available. $7/adults, $3.50/kids 6-12, free/5 and under. Tickets from any dept. member or at door. Call 570.868.6763.
Doug Smith Music ( firstname.lastname@example.org, 570.343.7271)
• April 12, 6-8 p.m., Scranton Cultural Center (420 N. Washington Ave., Scranton). Kiwanis Roast of Laurie Cadden fundraiser. Marcinko / Smith Trio.
• April 13, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Scranton Cultural Center (420 N. Washington Ave., Scranton). Erin Malloy Trio. Ballet Theatre of Scranton Fundraiser. $20.
• April 15, 2-3:30 p.m., Mellow Theater (Vine & Washington, Scranton). Scranton Civic Ballet performance.
• April 15, 6-9 p.m., Drawing Social, AFA Gallery (514 Lackawanna Ave., Scranton). Jason Smeltzer. $5; $2 students.
• April 20, 8-9:30 p.m., Scranton Cultural Center Shopland Hall (Washington Ave., Scranton). Robert Dale Chorale. The Great American Songbook.
Eastern Pocono Animal Alliance Spay/Neuter Clinic in need of volunteers, one day/week to check in clients, more; arrive by 8:15 a.m., commit to every week. Positions to help w/ vaccination clinics, substitute desk work. Stop in to office in back of Rainbow Plaza, Route 209, Brodheadsville, visitepaaonline.com, call 570.994.5846.
Family Service Association of Wyoming Valley 10th Anniversary Gala and Auction April 21, 6-11 p.m., Westmoreland Club, Wilkes-Barre. $110/PP donation, live and silent auction. Info: 570.823.5144 ext. 309, email@example.com
Free Community Dinner April 21, 4:30-6:30 p.m., St. Paul's United Methodist Church (corner Birch St., Prospect Ave., Scranton). All welcome.
Geneva School's 7th Annual "Taste of the Valley" May 2, 5:30-8 p.m., Fiorelli's (Main Ave., Peckville). $15/advance adults, $5/advance kids under 12. $20/door. Taste foods prepared by some of best local eateries. Live auction, basket raffles. Restaurants/caterers wishing to participate, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, 570.489.7620. All proceeds benefit The Geneva School. For info/tickets, call or visit geneva-school.org.
Greater Hazleton Chamber of Commerce events (20 W. Broad St.):
• Chamber Breakfast Program: Capriotti's Palazzo (1 Banks Ave., McAdoo). Senator John Yudichak, April 25; Luzerne County Council, May 31. $15/members, $20/non-members. Full breakfast. Call 570.455.1509.
• Tour of Canyon Country: April 19-27, featuring Arizona & Utah. Info on trip: hazletonchamber.org, contact Destiny Travel, 788.2771, email@example.com.
The Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce events:
• 16th Annual Community Reading Day: April 25, 9 a.m. Volunteers needed to spend hour with second graders. Individuals or companies. Info: 570.342.7711, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Green River - The Ultimate CCR Tribute Show April 13, 10-11 p.m., 11:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m., Scranton Hilton Grand Ballroom. Opening act Double Cross Band. $10 pre-sale at Hilton or JZ Tours by phone, 570.344.2212, or online. $12/door. $15/person to reserve table. Venue: 343.3000
The Junior League of Scranton (1011 N. Main Ave., Scranton, 570.961.8120)
• Cinderella's Closet: April 11, 4-8 p.m., Scranton Cultural Center, Shopland Hall (420 N. Washington Ave.). Dresses, shoes, jewelry, accessories, $10 or less. Proceeds benefit The Junior League of Scranton Scholarship Fund.
King's College: (133 North River St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.208.5957 or www.kings.edu) events:
• Piano virtuoso Ang Li presenting the works of Haydn, Chopin and Brahms: April 12, 7:30 p.m., J. Carroll McCormick Campus Ministry Center. Free. Info: 208.6044, RobertYenkowski@kings.edu
• Dr. Ashley Mears, Boston University, to discuss "Pricing Looks, Pricing Gender: The Production of Value in an Aesthetic Economy:" April 16, 7 p.m., Burke Auditorium, William G. McGowan School of Business. Free.
• Cantores Christi Regis Spring Concert: April 21, 7:30 p.m., J. Carroll McCormick Campus Ministry Center. Free. Info: 208.6044
• Dr. Nancy Sherman, Georgetown University, to evaluate inner lives of soldiers, moral costs of modern warfare: April 24, 6:30 p.m., Sheehy-Farmer Campus Center. Free.
• Global Landscapes Conference Keynote: April 26, 7 p.m., Burke Auditorium, William G. McGowan School of Business. Free. Former CEO Nilofer Merchant presenting "Why Being Big Isn't Big Enough, Anymore."
Lackawanna College events (Mellow Theater, 501 Vine St., Scranton, 570.955.1455)
• The Kingston Trio: April 20, 8 p.m. $25-$30, $15/students.
Environmental Institute events: (Rt. 435, Covington Twp., 570.842.1506, www.lackawanna.edu)
• "Man on Earth:" through April 20. Earl Lehman and his students, exhibit investigates man's impact on the planet. Refreshments. Free. Info: earllehman.com.
• Natural Wonders: Inside of an Egg: every other Thurs., through June 7, 1-2:30 p.m. Ages 3-5 and guardian. $40/series of 6. Pre-registration required.
• Art in Nature: Ceramics for Seniors: April 12, 19, 26, 2-4 p.m. Hand building techniques, includes pottery wheel. No experience necessary. $100, all materials provided. Pre-payment required. Make-up dates available.
• Art in Nature: Children's Clayplay: April 12, 19, 26, 6-8 p.m. Hand building techniques including pinch, coil and slab pottery. No experience necessary. Kids 7+. $100 per person, all materials provided. Pre-payment required. Make-up dates available.
Leadership Lackawanna events
• Pasta Dinner Fundraiser: April 15, 1-3 p.m., Barrett's Pub (474 N. Main St., Archbald). $8/adults, $6/under 12, senior citizens over 65, at door or in advance, call 570.808.5912. Take-out pasta dinner, 3 meatballs, salad, bread, dessert. Benefits Restore the Slope, Core Program Class of 2012 project.
• Night at the Races Fundraiser: April 28, 7-10:30 p.m.
Lehman's Last Night's First Annual Rummage Sale April 14, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., vendor set-up 7 a.m., Lake Lehman High School (1128 Old Route 115, Lehman). Indoor space $10, mail check to Lake Lehman School District, 1128 Old Route, 115, Lehman, PA 18627, payable Lake Lehman Last Night Rummage Sale. Include name, address, number, no. spaces. Proceeds benefit Last Night Lock In.
Marywood University events (2300 Adams Avenue, Scranton, www.marywood.edu, 570.348.6211)
• Creativity Conference: April 14, 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Fees vary.
• Orchestra Concert: April 28, 7:30 p.m., Sette LaVerghetta Center for Performing Arts. Free. For info, visit marywood.edu/mtd.
McAdoo Fire Company
• 2012 Golf Tournament to Benefit the Equipment Fund: June 2, 9 a.m. shotgun start, 4 Man Scramble, Mountain Valley Golf Course, Barnesville. $75/person. Hole-in-one prizes on all par 3s, lunch at the turn, dinner following at firehouse, door prizes, skins, par 3 prizes. Deadline May 20. Info: 570.929.1079, mcadoofireems.com
Misericordia University events ( www.misericordia.edu, 570.674.6400, box office 674.6719):
• "Journey Through The Arts:" April 12, 7:30 p.m., Lemmond Theater, Walsh Hall. Free, open to public.
• Brian Carso, J.D., Ph.D., Joseph Curran, Ph.D., will discuss Watergate: April 12, 7-8 p.m., Dudrick Room 216, Sandy and Marlene Insalaco Hall. Exhibit of 28 political cartoons.
• "Sherlock Holmes: Games of Shadows:" April 14, 7 p.m.; April 15, 3 p.m., 8 p.m., Lemmond Theater, Walsh Hall. $1/Misericordia student, $3/general public. Info: 570.674.6411
• Panel Discussion about Investigative Journalism: April 16, 7 p.m., Alden Trust Room 219, Insalaco Hall. Free screening of "All the President's Men," immediately following.
• Inaugural Dr. Madori Yamanouchi lecture presenting Carl Bernstein: April 17, 7 p.m., Lemmond Theater, Walsh Hall. Free. Call box office to reserve. Question/answer, autograph signing following presentation.
• "Ensemble Evening: Dance:" April 19, 7:30 p.m., Lemmond Theater, Walsh Hall. Free, open to public.
• Open House: April 21, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Info: 675.4449, 1.866.262.6363
• "Ensemble Evening: Music:" April 25, 7:30 p.m., Lemmond Theater, Walsh Hall. Free, open to public.
• Annual Diversity Camp: June 17-21, for students entering grades 11-12. For info, contact high school guidance counselor or call 570.674.1483.
Purple Week Events to raise support for Relay for Life:
• Purple Ribbon Formation: April 11, noon, lawn of McHale Hall. Wear purple.
• Purple Hair Streaks/Fingernail Painting: April 12, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., lawn of Banks Student Life Center.
• Relay for Life: April 13, 7 p.m.-April 14, 7 a.m., Anderson Sports and Health Center, north gate. Benefit American Cancer Society. Participate individually, teams, $10/team member, register relayforlife.org/pamisericordia. Luminarias, $10, ceremony April 13, 9:30 p.m., contact email@example.com. Program sponsorships: 570.562.9749, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Myrtle Street UM Church (840 Harrison Ave., Scranton, 570.346.9911, 342.2015) events:
• Multi-Vendor Flea Market: April 14, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. $20 to rent table, call 342.5308, 969.5229 or church. Snack shop.
Northeastern Pennsylvania Philharmonic Presents The Gershwin Symphonic Experience: Here to Stay April 13, Scranton Cultural Center, Scranton; April 14, F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts, Wilkes-Barre. $28-$60/adult, $15/students, call 570.341.1568, visit nepaphil.org, getyourcultureonnepa.com. "Gershwin Night," April 12, 6 p.m., Westmoreland Club, Wilkes-Barre, $90 includes dinner, entertainment. Call for tickets.
Noxen Volunteer Fire Company Breakfast Buffet April 22, 8 a.m.-1 p.m., Stull Road Fire Hall, Noxen. $7.50/adults, $4/under 12.
The Osterhout Free Library events (71 S. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre, www.osterhout.info, 570.821.1959)
• Open Computer Lab: Mon./Wed., 5-8 p.m.; Sat., 1-4 p.m.
• Fall for the Osterhout: Sept. 28, 6 p.m., Westmoreland Club (S. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre). 30th anniversary of Ken Pollock Children's Wing. $135, entertainment, food, drinks, music by "New York Times Brand." All proceeds benefit Library, sponsorship available by calling 570.823.0156 ext. 218.
National Library Week Events:
• Teen Night: April 11, 6-8 p.m. Movie and popcorn.
• Beginner Genealogy Program: April 12, 2-4 p.m.
• Socrates Cafe Discussion Group: April 12, 6:30-8 p.m.
• Knit & Crochet Group: April 14, 28, 10:30 a.m.-noon. All ages.
• Titanic Anniversary: April 14, 2 p.m. Movie: "A Night to Remember." Light refreshments.
• Intergenerational Card Tournament: April 14, 10 a.m. Open to all ages, must sign up in advance to play Rummy 500, single elimination tournament. Prizes.
Peace and Justice Center's Annual Dinner April 23, 6 p.m., Kirby Memorial Health Center (71 N. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre). $35/person, $275/table, $15/students, reduced income.
Penn State Wilkes-Barre events:
• Spring Personal Enrichment Film & Discussion Series Celebrating the Titanic: Thurs., 7 p.m., through April 12, last night held April 15, R/C Wilkes-Barre Movies 14, Wilkes-Barre. Pre-film lecture notes, post-film discussion with guest speakers. Titanic Tech, Ghosts of the Abyss, A Night to Remember, Raise the Titanic, Titanic (1953). Info: 570.675.9269, email@example.com.
• Executive Management Series: April 12, 7:45 a.m., Best Western Genetti Hotel and Conference Center, Wilkes-Barre. $15, payment in full must accompany registration. Info/RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org, 570.675.9253
• Alumni Offer Blue & White Football Game Bus Trip: April 21, bus trip to Blue & White Game at Beaver Stadium. $40, includes transportation, tailgate before/after (game admission free), raffle. To RSVP, call 570.675.9228, e-mail email@example.com, visit wb.psu.edu/Alumni/alumevents.htm.
• Great Books at Hayfield: April 23, 6 p.m. Hayfield House, Room H-105. Discussion on "Madame Bovary" by Gustave Flaubert. Bring covered dish. Info: 570.675.9269
• PSU Day at Knoebel's: May 12, registration 11 a.m., Pavilion M with lunch, entertainment, noon-1 p.m., Penn State Party, 3 p.m in Pavilion L. $20/GA, $10/child, both include $10/food, ride booklet. $10/PSU lunch only. Picnic lunch, prize raffles, $10 T-Shirt. Deadline April 27, call 570.385.6262, visit wb.psu.edu/Alumni/alumevents.htm.
• 2012 Safe Haven Calendar available. Send check, $16/each calendar, plus S& H charge of $2/1, $3/2, $4/3, $5/4 or more to: Safe Haven Calendar, RR1, Box 289-A, Effort, PA 18330. Proceeds help SH rescue, care for dogs from overcrowded and high kill shelters.
• Adoption Day: April 15, May 20, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Tractor Supply (Route 209, Brodheadsville). Dogs available to meet and get to know. Pre-adoption application with references, home visit required prior to adoption.
• Volunteer Meeting: April 17, May 15, 6:30 p.m., Cherry's Restaurant (Route 209, Kresgeville). Volunteers, foster families always welcome. Volunteers needed for adoption days, dog transport, fundraising, clerical help, home visits, more.
Scranton Cultural Center (420 N. Washington Ave., Scranton, 570.346.7369)
• Up and Coming Comedy: April 21, 8 p.m., ft. headliner Jimmy "Roundboy" Graham, opener Cal Verduchi, emcee The Prospector from Rock 107 and music by Michael Baresse. $16.
Scranton Fraternal Order of Eagles No. 314 Spring Craft Fair April 21, 10 a.m. Free to attend. Avon, Mary Kay, Dove Chocolate, jewelry, woodworking, cake bakers, homemade bows. Info: 570.961.5495
Sons of the American Legion Post 781 (Church Rd. Mountain Top, 570.474.2161, alpost781.org) events:
• Flea Market and Chicken Roast Dinner: May 6, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Vendors wanted. Cost for flea market, $5, bring table/tent. Registration by phone, call 570.332.5658. Chicken dinner, $8, includes 1/2 roasted chicken, baked potato, coleslaw, roll, dessert; noon-5 p.m.
St. Michael's Ukrainian Orthodox Church (540 N. Main Ave., Scranton, 570.343.7165)
• Pierogi Sale every Fri., 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
St. Stephen's Episcopal Pro-Cathedral (35 S. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.346.4600)
• Food Pantry open Mon.-Fri., noon-4 p.m.
• Clothing Closet: free clothing for men, women, children. Open Tues., 4-6:30 p.m., Wed., noon-3:30 p.m.
St. Thomas More Society (St. Clare Church, 2301 N. Washington Ave., Scranton, 570.343.0634, stthomasmoresociety.org)
• Guardian of the Redeemer Fellowship: First, third Mon. of month for men interested in adult discussion of Catholic faith.
• YOUCAT Teen Group welcomes post-Confirmation youth from all parishes for discussion of Theology of the Body for Teens. Meets first, third Thurs. of month, 5:30 p.m.
Tracey's Hope Hospice Care Program and Domestic Animal Rescue (570.466.7930, firstname.lastname@example.org, petservicesbydenise.com)
• Adoption Day Event: April 14, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Big Lots and Holiday Hair, Birney Plaza, Moosic. Bake sale, raffles for Family 4 Pack to Dorney Park, flat screen TV. Holiday Hair will donate $2 for each service they provide this day if customer mentions this.
• 4th Annual Memorial Pet Walk: May 5, McDade Park, Scranton. If you chose to walk and not seek sponsors, $15. For info/sponsor sheet, call 570.457.1625, visit website.
• Annual Dog Wash: July 29, Pet Services by Denise (113 Foote Ave., Duryea).
• Bark-toberfest: Oct. 20, Thomas BBQ, Moosic.
Tunkhannock Business and Professional Women
• Wine Down at the Dietrich: April 26, doors 6:15 p.m., showing of "The Help" 7:30 p.m. Wine, chocolate, raffles. Advance tickets, $25, call 570.836.2111.
Unified Fighting Arts Association (570.675.9535, ufa-a.com)
• April: Bring a Friend Month
• Relay for Life (Demo): April 13, 7 p.m., Misericordia
• Multi-Family Yard Sale: April 14, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Rice Twp. Fire Dept., Mountain Top.
• Tournament & Demo Team Practice: April 14, 10:30 a.m.-noon, Mountain Top.
• Work out with Professor (Demo Team): April 17, 6-8 p.m.
• Movie Night: April 21, 6-10 p.m.
• Dr. Tomalinas Seminar (Chiropractor - Reiki and Eastern Medicine): April 24, 7-8:30 p.m.
• Cherry Blossom Festival: April 29, time TBD, Kirby Park
Unity: A Center for Spiritual Living (140 South Grant St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.824.7722)
• A Course in Miracles / Holistic Fitness-Yoga Sessions: Tues., 6:30-8:30 p.m.
• Meditation Chakra Clearing Deeksha: 2nd, 4th Mon., 7-8:30 p.m. $8. Oneness meditation, chakra clearing/energization, transfer of Divine Energy. Welcome beginning, experienced meditators, all paths. Info: 587.0967, email@example.com.
The University of Scranton events:
• 2nd Annual Conference on Aging Research: April 12, 8 a.m. Rose Room, Brennan Hall. Free. Call 570.941.6353.
• "Spring Awakening" presented by Liva Arts Company: April 12-15, 8 p.m. Thurs.-Sat.; 2 p.m. Sun. Jefferson Auditorium, Leahy Hall. Prices vary. Call 570.941.7462.
• Earth Week Hill Section Street Sweep and Alumni Day of Service: April 14, noon. Call 570.941.7520.
• "Love Songs, a Concert in Memory of Joan Sylvester:" April 15, 7:30 p.m., Houlihan-McLean Center. Free. Call 570.941.7624.
• Campus Take Back the Night Pre-Rally: April 19, 4:30 p.m., Dionne Campus Green. Call 570.941.6194.
• Earth Week Fair Trade Vendors' Fair: April 20, 1-5 p.m. Free. Dionne Campus Green. Call 570.941.7520.
• Gospel Extravaganza: April 21, 1 p.m., Moskovitz Theater, DeNaples Center. Free. Call 570.941.7401.
• Spring Concert hosted by USPB: April 21, 8 p.m., Byron Complex. 18+. Call 570.941.7463.
• Earth Day Fair: April 24, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., patio, DeNaples Center. Rain location: McIlhenny Ballroom, DeNaples Center. Free. Call 570.941.7520.
• Schemel Forum Springtime in the Hudson Valley bus trip: April 28, 7:30 a.m. Roosevelt Library at Hyde Park, Storm King Sculpture Park, lunch at Culinary Institute of America. Departs from Linden Circle. Pre-registration required. $70. Call 570.941.7816.
• Urban Beats Dance Show: April 28, 7 p.m., McIlhenny Ballroom, DeNaples Center. Free. Call 570.941.5441.
• "29th Annual World Premiere Composition Series Concert:" April 28, 7:30 p.m., Houlihan-McLean Center. Free. Call 570.941.7624.
• Earth Week Lecture by William Brady: April 30, 6 p.m. MosKovitz Theater, DeNaples Center. Free. Call 941-7520.
• Four Octaves A Capella Group Spring Concert: May 4, 6 p.m., Dionne Green Amphitheater. Free. Call 570.941.5441.
• Spring Fling/Battle of the Bands: May 5, 11a.m., Dionne Campus Green. Free. Call 570.941.6233.
• "In Concert:" May 6, 3 p.m., Houlihan-McLean Center. Free. Call 570.941.7624.
• New Director's Workshop: May 10-12, 8 p.m., McDade Center for Literary and Performing Arts. Tickets vary. Call 570.941.4318.
Schemel Forum Courses, $60/person, $100/couple. To register, contact 570.941.7816, firstname.lastname@example.org:
• "Madness, Mystery and Murderous Desire: Charles Dickens' ‘Bleak House:'" April 17; April 24, reading week/no class; May 1, 8. Weinberg Memorial Library, 6-7:15 p.m.
Valley Lodge No. 499 (West Pittston)
• Pancake and Sausage Breakfast: April 15, 8 a.m.-1 p.m., Four Seasons Golf Course Dining Hall (Slocum St., Exeter). Eggs, sausage, pancakes, coffee, tea, juice. $7/adults, $3.50/under 12. Info: lodge499.com
Waggin' Tails Pet Rescue (WagginTailsRescue.com, email@example.com, 570.992.4185)
• Calendars/Liz Tech pins for sale. Calendar, $15. Liz Tech pins named "Chance" in honor of dog still looking for home, $44. Help offset costs of shelter heating, animal surgeries. To buy, contact 570.561.1412, firstname.lastname@example.org, or go to Liz Tech Gallery, East Stroudsburg for pin.
Waverly Community House (1115 N. Abington Rd., Waverly, 570.586.8191, www.waverlycomm.org) events:
• Ballroom Dancing Lessons: Wed., 7:15 p.m., Comm auditorium. Basic & advanced ballroom, swing. $15/person. For info, call Vince Brust at 489.3111.
• 20th Annual Spring Show: April 28, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., April 29, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. The Flippin' Bird, Paul Funke Photography, Ethan Allen, Sugar Plum Chocolates, more. Raffle. Show tickets $6 at door, $5.50 with show card/ad.
Wayne County Builders Association
• Chapter 102 Briefing with Secretary of DEP Michael Krancer: April 24, The Waterfront Banquet Center at Erhhardt's, Tafton. Presentation 5:30 p.m., Q&A and dinner, 7 p.m. $40. Reservations required, call 570.226.4941.
• Spring Home and Garden Festival: April 28, 9 a.m.-5 p.m., April 29, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Ladore Lodge Camp Retreat & Conference Center, Waymart. Free. Vendors wanted. Food, arts and crafts vendors, seminars, raffles, auction, more. Vendor starts $125 depending on booth size, location. Info: WayneCountyBuilders.com, 570.226.4941.
• 6th Annual Children's LEGO Building Contest: April 28, sign-in 1 p.m., contest 1:30 p.m. Ladore Lodge Camp Retreat & Conference Center, Waymart. Ages 5-8, 9-12. Prizes. Pre-registration required, deadline April 15. For form, call 570.226.4941, visit Estemerwalt Log Homes (505 Adams Pond Road, Honesdale).
West Pittston Chapter of The Salvation Army 100th Anniversary May 10-12. Banquet, open house, more. Info: 570.655.5947, Sheryl.email@example.com.
West Pittston Rams Parents Association 1st Annual Golf Tournament April 28, Four Seasons Golf Course (750 Slocum Ave., Exeter). Funds go to purchase of safety equipment for football, cheerleading departments. $50, $100 sponsors, call 570.954.0329. Info: westpittstonrams.com.
Wilkes-Barre Barbershop Harmony Society events:
• 60th Annual Concert: April 21, 7:30 p.m., Wyoming Area High School, Exeter. $15, $20, at door. "Wheel House," District Champs, International Finalist Quartet, Columbia-Mont, Men in Harmony. Info: 570.696.3385, 287.2476
Wilkes University (84 W. South St, Wilkes-Barre, 1.800.Wilkes.U)
• Women's and Gender Studies Conference: April 17, 4-5:15 p.m., Miller Conference Room, Student Union Building. Free. Featuring Teri Granahan. Theme: "Women Across the Globe." Info: 570.408.4567, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Max Rosenn Lecture Series in Law and Humanities: April 22, 7:30 p.m. Honorable Cory Booker.
Wyoming County Chamber Of Commerce
• Luncheon: April 11, 11:45-1 p.m., Purkey's Pink Apple (651 Us- 6 W. Tunkhannock). Members free, $10/non-members. George Stark, External Affairs Director, Cabot Oil and Gas. For reservations call 570.836.7755.
• Business Expo: June 1, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Wyoming County Fairgrounds. Info/register: 570.836.7755, 875.8325.
Wyoming Seminary Performing Arts Institute (201 North Sprague Avenue, Kingston, 570.270.2186). Events free and open to public.
• Gala Performance: April 15, 7 p.m., Amato Auditorium (Wyoming Sem. Lower School, 1560 Wyoming Ave., Forty Fort).
• Civic Orchestra Spring Concert: April 22, 8 p.m., Great Hall (228 Wyoming Ave., Kingston). Hansel and Gretel Prelude, Symphony No. 9, Beethoven's Triple Concerto. Free, open to public. Info: 270.2192
Your Dog's Place, LLC (yourdogsplace.com)
• PetTech Pet First Aid Course: April 15, 22, noon-4 p.m. 2-day course. Basics of pet first aid. $125, includes light refreshments. To sign up: email@example.com,570.729.8977.
Eckley Miners' Village (located nine miles east of Hazleton, just off Route 940; 570.636.2070; www.eckleyminers.org)
• "An Afternoon with John Mitchell, US Labor Leader and President of the United Mine Workers of America from 1898 to 1908:" April 15, 2 p.m. $5. Presentation by Eckley Players.
Electric City Trolley Museum and Coal Mine Tour (Cliff Street, Scranton 570.963.6590) Museum open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Excursions: Wed.-Sun. 10:30 a.m., noon, 1:30 p.m., 3 p.m. Rides: $10 adults, $9 seniors, $7.75 ages 3-12. Mine open daily 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tours hourly, $8 adults, $7.50 seniors, $5.50 ages 3-12.
The Houdini Museum (1433 N. Main Ave., Scranton)
Every weekend by reservation. Open 1 p.m., closes 4 p.m. Also available weekdays for school groups, bus, hotel groups. $17.95/adults, $14.95/11 and under.
• Ghost Tours: Scheduled daily, 7 p.m., reservations required. Secret time/meeting place divulged upon reservation, call 570.383.1821.$20/adults, $15/11 and under. Rain or shine, 52 weeks/year. Daytime walks also available on limited basis. Private tours can be arranged for groups.
Luzerne County Historical Society (49 S. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.823.6244, firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Stories of the Wilkes-Barre Passengers on the Titanic: April 14, 5-8 p.m., Barnes and Noble Area Hub Plaza, Wilkes-Barre Twp.
• 154th Annual Dinner Meeting: April 19, reception 6 p.m., dinner 7 p.m. 100th Anniversary of Titanic Tragedy, "Stories of The Wilkes-Barre Titanic Passengers." Westmoreland Club. Free parking. $65/members, $75/non-members. RSVP by April 13.
• Family History Seminar / Searching for Our Ancestors: Navigating Federal, State and Local Records: April 21, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Luzerne County Community College, Educational Conference Center, Nanticoke. Registration $45. Info: genpa.org, email@example.com.
Lycoming County Historical Society Thomas T. Taber Museum (858 W. Fourth St., Williamsport, 570.326.3326, www.lycoming.org/lchsmuseum)
• Coffee Hour exploring aspects of the U.S. Civil War: April 12, 10 a.m., community room. Free, light refreshments.
Steamtown National Historic Site (I-81 to Exit 53, Scranton: 570.340.5200 or 888.693.9391, www.nps.gov/stea)
• Ongoing: Interpretive programs, visitor center, theater, a history museum. Open daily, 9-5 p.m. $7 adults, $6 senior citizens, $2 children ages 6-12.
Susquehanna County Historical Society ( www.susqcolibrary.org or 570.278.1881)
• Historical Society and Free Library Association Fundraiser: April 14, doors 4 p.m., dinner 5 p.m., auction 6 p.m., VFW Hall (Route 706, Montrose). $10, traditional comfort foods dinner. Call for info, visit susqcolibrary.org/auction.
A.C. Moore (2190 Wilkes-Barre Twp. Marketplace, 570.820.0570)
• Mom and Me art classes: every Fri., noon-1 p.m. $15, includes supplies. Sign up 24 hours in advance, call to register.
Academy of Northern Martial Arts (79 N. Main St., Pittston) Traditional Kung Fu & San Shou. For Health and Defense. Adult & Children's Classes, Mon.-Thurs., Sat. First class free. Walk-ins welcome, call 371.9919, 817.2161 for info.
Adult Kung Fu (Kung Fu & Tai Chi Center, Wilkes-Barre: 570.829.2707)
Ongoing classes. Tues./Thurs., 6:30 p.m. Study of Chinese Martial Art open hand, weapons sets. Mon., Wed., 6:30 p.m. Covers Chinese style theories, concepts, applications. "Sport" fighting concepts explained, practiced.
Art Classes at the Georgiana Cray Bart Studio (123 Brader Dr., Wilkes-Barre, 570.947.8387, gcraybart-artworks.com)
• Adult (Ages 13+): Mon., Tues., noon-4 p.m. (3 hrs painting, 1 hr group critique), $30/class payable monthly. Tues., Wed., 6-9 p.m. (student chooses length of time), $15/1 hr, $18/1 1/2 hrs, $20/2 hrs, $25/2 1/2 hrs, $30/3 hrs, per class payable monthly.
• Children: Ages 9-12, Mon.-Wed., 4:30-5:30 p.m., $15/class payable monthly. Ages 13+, joins adult class, individuals select amount of time to participate. Portfolio prep instruction available for college bound students. Private lessons available.
ArtWorks Gallery & Studio (502 Lackawanna Ave., Scranton. 570.207.1815):
Children's Spring Workshops:
• Art Start: Sat., through May 12, 12:30-1:30 p.m. $80 for 6-week series in drawing, painting, clay.
• Theatre: Wed., through May 9, 4:30-6 p.m.
Aikido of Scranton, Inc. (1627 N. Main Ave., Scranton, 570.963.0500)
• Self-Defense Class taught by Aikido Master Ven Sensei, every Mon. & Wed., 7-9 p.m. $10.
• Traditional Weapons Class, Thurs., 7-9 p.m. $10.
Back Mountain Martial Arts Center & Mountaintop Karate Center
For info, call either location, Back Mountain (4 Carr Ave., 570.675.9535) or Mountaintop (312 S. Mountain Blvd., 466.6474): Visit Website at www.fudoshinkai1.com.
• Instruction in Traditional Karate, Jujutsu, Sivananda Yoga (Back Mountain): Tues., Wed., Thurs., 4:30-9 p.m., Sat., 8:30 a.m.-12 p.m. (Mountaintop Karate Center Mon., Weds., Fri., 4:30-9 p.m.
• Instruction in Traditional Karate, Jujutsu, Sivananda Yoga (Mountaintop): Mon., Wed., Fri., 4:30-9 p.m.
Ballroom Dancing Class April 19-June 14, Thurs., 6-7 p.m., Mid-Valley Senior Center (310 Church St., Jessup). $5/class 55+, $7/class others. Taught by certified members of Dance Educators of America Joanne and Ed Samborski. Foxtrot, waltz, swing, rumba, tango, samba, hustle, more. Call 570.489.4415.
Ballroom Dance Class April 13-June 29, Fri., 12:30-1:30 p.m. U.N.C. South Side Senior Center (425 Alder St., Scranton). Taught by certified members of Dance Educators of America. Foxtrot, samba, waltz, rumba, swing, more. $5/class for 55+, $7/class others. Info: 570.346.2487
Beauty Lies Within School of Pole Dance (32 Forrest St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.793.5757, firstname.lastname@example.org). Hours by appointment, free sample appointment. Call or e-mail for details.
Bridge. Beginning or Intermediate Lessons, playing time for regular games and tournaments. Jewish Community Center (River Street, Wilkes-Barre). Call Rick Evans at 570.824.4646 or Rev. Ken McCrea at 570.823.5957.
Carbondale Chiropractic Center (267 Brooklyn St., 570.282.1240, www.carbondalechiropractic.com).
• Run with Doc: Sun. 9-10 a.m. at Lake Scranton. Jog around Lake Scranton with Dr. Andrew Rivera. Visit Website for info.
Core Chiropractic Center (180 United Penn Plaza, Kingston, 570.718.1672)
• Integrated Energy Therapy (IET) Basic Level Class: April 22, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.$195. Learn to help heal your self and others with the compassionate energy of angels. Hands-on training. Learn to give full IET treatment. Reference manual, certification. No experience necessary. Pre-registration required by April 12, call 570.417.9662.
Dance Contours (201 Bear Creek Blvd., Wilkes-Barre, 570.208.0152, www.dancecontours.com)
• Adult classes: ballet, tap, lyrical, CardioSalsa, ballroom dance.
• Children/teen classes: ballet, tap, CheerDance, HipTech Jazz, a form of dance blending basic Jazz Technique with styles of street dance, hip hop.
• Zumba classes for adults: Tues., 6 p.m., Sat., 10 a.m. First class free.
• Adult ballet: Sat. morn.
Danko's Core Wrestling Strength Training Camp (DankosAllAmericanFitness.com)
• Four sessions/week, features two clinics, two core strength. 4 sessions/week. Increase power, speed, agility. Group discounts, coaches, teams, clubs, free stuff. Visit website or call Larry Danko at 570.825.5989 for info.
Downtown Arts at Arts YOUniverse (47 N. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.970.2787, www.artsyouniverse.com)
• Kids Craft Hour with Liz Revit: Sat., 10:15 a.m.-11:15 a.m. Make jewelry, paper mache, more. $15, includes supplies. For info or to register, call 817.0176.
• Traditional Egyptian Belly Dance: Wed., beginners 6-7 p.m.; intermediate 7-8 p.m. intermediate. $10. Call 343.2033 for info.
• Tribal Fusion Dance: Thurs., beginners 6-7 p.m.; intermediate 7-8 p.m. $10. Call 836.7399 for info.
• Cabaret with Helena: Sat., 4:30 p.m. Pre-registration required. Call 553.2117 for info.
• African Dance: Wed. & Sun., 1 p.m. Traditional African moves with jazz and hip-hop. $10, registration required, call 212.9644 or visit hipbodysoul.com for info.
Downtown Dojo Karate Academy (84 S. Main St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.262.1778)
Offering classes in traditional karate, weapons, self defense. Mon-Thurs., 5:30-8:45 p.m.; Sat., 9 a.m.-noon.
• Zumba Classes: Tues., Thurs., 7-8 p.m.; Sat., 12:30-1:30 p.m. $5/class. Call for info.
Everhart Museum (1901 Mulberry St., Scranton, 570.346.7186, www.everhart-museum.org)
• "Everybody's Art" New Series of Adult Art Classes: $25/workshop members, $30 non-members. Pre-registration required.
• Rosen Method easy movement program, Thurs., 2-3 p.m., Folk art gallery, $5/class, free to members. Must pre-register.
• Early Explorers: Mon., 1-1:45 p.m. Free, suitable for ages 3-5. Pre-registration required, groups welcome. For info, to register, call or e-mail email@example.com.
Extreme M.M.A.(2424 Old Berwick Rd., Bloomsburg. 570.854.2580)
• MMA Class: Mon., Wed., 6-7 p.m. First visit free. Wrestling fundamentals, basic Brazilian Ju-Jitsu No Gi. Call for info.
• Boxing/Kickboxing Fitness Class: Mon., Wed., 7-8 p.m. First visit free. Non-combative class.
• Personal Training: Call 317.7250 for info.
Fazio's Hapkido Do Jang (61 Main St., Luzerne, 570.239.1191)
Accepting new students. Children (age 7-12) Mon./Wed., 5:30-6:30 p.m. Teen/adult Mon./Wed., 6:45-8:15 p.m.; Tues.-Thurs., 6:30-8 p.m. Private lesson also available.
Learn Hapkido. Self defense applications. $50 monthly, no contract.
GreenBeing (334 Adams Ave., Scranton, firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Not Your Granny's Sewing: one-on-one lessons: $40/lesson, $140/4 sessions, 2-3 hour sessions. Tailored to individual needs.
• Beach Body Bootcamp: Mon.-Fri., 6:30 & 8 p.m.; Sat., 1 p.m.
• Bridal Bootcamp: Mon.-Fri., 6:30 & 8 p.m.; Sat., 1 p.m. Bridal party group training, couples personal training available.
• Fitness Bootcamp: 4-week sessions, Mon.-Fri., 6:30 & 8 p.m.; Sat., 1 p.m.
• New Year's Resolution Flab to Fab Bootcamp: Mon.-Fri., 6:30 & 8 p.m., Sat., 1 p.m. Guaranteed results.
• Private/Semi-Private sessions available, e-mail for info.
Guitar & Bass Lessons available from Fox Studios (11 Rhine Creek Rd., Drums) Mon.-Thurs. 1-10 p.m. $16 per hour. All ages, all styles of music, all levels. Call 570.788.4797 for info.
Hazleton Art League (225 E. Broad St., Hazleton, 570.454.0092, Hazletonsartleague.org)
• Figure Drawing Class: through April 30, Mon., 4-7 p.m. Call 570.453.1337 for info.
Harris Conservatory for the Arts (545 Charles St. Luzerne, 570.287.7977 or 718.0673)
• Instrumental Music Instruction
• Private Ballroom Lessons
• Private Vocal Instruction: Tues. evenings.
• Private Guitar Instruction: Classical, acoustic, electric for all ages.
• Dragons' Tale Karate: Mon., 5:30-7 p.m.; Wed., 6-7:30 p.m. Ages 5+.
• Tumbling: Fri., 5:30-6:30 p.m. Ages 5+. $30/month.
Horse Back Riding Lessons Elk Stables, Uniondale, by appointment only. All levels welcome. Call 570.575.8649 to schedule.
Jim Thorpe Arts in Motion (jtartsinmotion.com)
• Classes at East Side Jim Thorpe location. Adults, children ranging from Music Together to belly dancing, yoga and Flirty Girl Fitness for adults. Zumbatomic (children's Zumba) starts late fall. Jacqueline Hyde, classes in Burlesque, Cabaret Arts.
Kiss Theatre Company (58 Wyoming Valley Mall, Wilkes-Barre, 570.829.1901, kisstheatre.org)
Spring/Summer 2012 workshops:
• Frog And Toad: Sat., 10 a.m.-noon, starts April 28. Ages 4-10. Performances in July. $250 + $50 admin fee.
• Disney's Beauty and the Beast: Workshop 1: Tues., Sun., 6-8:30 p.m., starts June 10. Workshop 2: Mon., Thurs., 6-8:30 p.m., starts June 11. Performances in August. $300 + $50 admin fee.
Kwonkodo Lessons – by reservation at The Hapkido Teakwondo Institute (210 Division St., Kingston). $40/month. Call 570.287.4290 for info.
Misericordia University Non-credit Art Classes (50 Lake St., registration required, closes two weeks before start of class, 570.674.6289)
• Exploring Color: Ages 15+, starts April 30, register by April 16.
• Drawing Flowers in Pastel: starts May 1, register by April 17. Ages 13+.
• Exploring Color Youth: Ages 10-14, starts May 1, register by April 16.
• Independent Study: Ages 15+. May 5, 12, 19, 26. Register by April 21.
Moscow Clayworks (moscowclayworks.com)
• Focus on hand-building techniques: Adults, Tues., 6-8 p.m.; kids, Thurs., 6-8 p.m. $125/5 sessions. Reservations required.
• Potters Wheel for Beginners: Mon., Wed., 6-8 p.m. $125/5 sessions. Reservations required.
New Visions Studio & Gallery (201 Vine Street, Scranton, 570.878.3970, email@example.com, newvisionsstudio.com)
• Adult Figure Drawing: Wed., through April 18, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Live model. $100, supplies included. Call to reserve.
Northeastern Ju-Jitsu (1047 Main St., Swoyersville, 570.714.3839, nejujitsu.com)
Open 7 days/week, offers training in Traditional Karate, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, boxing, Judo, Women's self defense. Group, private self defense classes available by appointment.
Olympic Style Fencing classes at The Fencing Exchange, above AFA Gallery, 514 Lackawanna Ave., Scranton, Mon.-Thurs. Foil, saber, epee taught. For info, call 570.969.1224.
Osterhout Library (71 S. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.821.1959)
Celebrate Money Smart Week:
• Financial Literacy Information Fair: April 21, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Info on how to save money; bank, credit union, gov't agencies in reading room. Free.
• A Tale of Two Brothers: Teaching Children to Save: April 21, 2:30-3:30 p.m. Free.
• Student Loans & Saving for College: April 25, 6-7:30 p.m. Wilkes' Money Matters Club presents ways to finance college, scholarships, loans, grants, savings. Free.
• Couponing: Way to Save Money: April 28, 10 a.m. Free.
Phoenix Performing Arts Centre (409-411 Main St., Duryea, 570.457.3589, phoenixpac.vpweb.com, firstname.lastname@example.org)
• Dimensions in Dance w/ Lee LaChette: Jazz, tap, ballet for adults & kids. $10/hour, $5/second class. E-mail or call 991.1817.
• Vocal lessons w/ Joelle Colombo Witner: Wed., Sun. E-mail or call 991.1817.
Private Voice Lessons Mon.-Thurs. by appointment. Learn proper singing technique in downtown Wilkes-Barre studio. Specializing in opera/classical/musical theater. Hour, half-hour lessons. Student discounts available. Please call 824.5428 or visit www.katrinalykes.com for info.
Royce Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Network, Scranton. Day, evening classes for men, women, children. Ongoing classes 6 days/week. Covers sport, combat, self-defense aspects of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. For info visit gracie-nepa.com or call 570.347.1107.
School of Combat Arts (24 Forrest St., Wilkes-Barre, 570.468.9701, schoolofcombatarts.com)
Be a fighter or at least train like one. Open 6 days/week. Classes in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, submission grappling, Russian Sambo, Muay Thai kickboxing, boxing, MMA, Ninjutsu. Classes for men, women, kids. Group/private classes available. $200/6 months (save $130) or MMA for $300/6 months (save $180). First week free. Enrolling kids classes now for $35/month.
Shaolin White Crane Fist (Wyoming)
Teaching traditional Chinese martial arts of Shaolin White Crane Fist, Wing Chun Gong Fu, Yang Style Taijiquan, Qigong-Energy work, Shauijiao-Chinese Wrestling, more. $35/week, first week free. Three levels of training, ages 15+. Contact Master Mike DiMeglio 570.371.8898.
Sil-Lum Kung-Fu & Tai-Chi Academy (509 Pittston Ave., Scranton)