Boomer’s Angels Rescue & Care
Dog adoption days:
• Jan. 5, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Washington Pet Shop (1310 Blue Valley Drive, Route 512, Penn Argyl).
• Jan. 26, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Tractor Supply (Route 209 Brodheadsville).
Camp Papillion Pet Adoption and Rescue
• Jan. 12, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Tractor Supply (Route 209, Brodheadsville).
• Jan. 26, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Tractor Supply (Route 209, Brodheadsville).
Misericordia University (www.misericordia.edu, 570.674.6400; box office, 674.6719, misericordia.edu)
• Cougar Indie-Pendence: Local unsigned NEPA bands can submit one original track to be considered for this music sampler. Deadline for submissions is December 12. Enter by visiting the CougarRadio website (www.cougarradio.net) or by mail to Cougar Indie-Pendence, c/o Cougar Radio, 301 Lake Street, Dallas PA, 18612. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Safe Haven Dog Rescue
• Volunteer meeting: Jan. 21, 6:30 p.m., Cherry’s Family Restaurant (Route 209 near Route 534, Kresgeville).
• Dec. 22, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Tractor Supply (Route 940, Pocono Summit).
• Jan. 19, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Tractor Supply (Route 209, Brodheadsville)
CAR & BIKE EVENTS
Exaltation of the Holy Cross Church
(420 Main Rd., Hanover Twp., 570.823.6242)
• Soup, Bake, and Book Sale: Jan. 9, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Soup of the month is piggy. $8 per quart. Take-outs only. Pre-orders appreciated. To place an order, call Sylvia at 570.825-6370 or Barry at 570.831.5593.
Ss. Cyril and Methodius Ukrainian Catholic Church
(135 River St., Olyphant)
• Christmas and 125th Anniversary Celebration: Dec. 25, 9 a.m. liturgy.
(214 Blue Shutters Road, Roaring Brook Township)
• New Years Eve Party: Dec. 31, 8 p.m.-12:30 a.m. $30 per person until Dec. 15; $35 per person after Dec. 15. 21 and over event. Reservations can be made by calling 570.842.7656. Tables may be reserved for groups of 6 or more. Includes buffet, DJ, champagne toast at midnight, beer and set-ups BYOB.
St. John the Baptist Church
(126 Nesbitt St., Larksville, 570.779.9620)
• Saint Francis & Dominic the Nativity Donkey, “Living” Nativity: Dec. 24, 4 p.m.
St. Michael’s Church
(corner of Church/Winter Sts., Old Forge, 570.457.2875)
• Nut Roll/Poppy Seed Roll & Christmas Cookie Sale: Dec. 21, pick up 11 a.m. - 2 p.m., $10 per poppy or nut roll, $8 per pound of cookies. Place orders by Dec. 14. Call Sandra 570.457.9280, Dorothy 570.562.1434, or Church Hall 570.457.2875.
St. Thomas More Society
(St. Clare Church, 570.343.0634, stthomasmoresociety.org)
• Christmas Bazaar: Dec. 14, 10 a.m.-3 p.m., St. Joseph Church Hall (1625 N. Main Ave., Scranton).
Unity of NEPA: A Spiritual Center
(140 S. Grant St., Wilkes-Barre)
• Christmas Pageant: Dec. 15, 10 a.m. followed by a Multi-Generational “Spiritual Gifts” Workshop at 11:45. Workshop admission is $10, email email@example.com to register.
• Candle Lighting Service: Dec. 18, 7 p.m.
• For Now, We Are God: Dec. 22, followed by Annual Christmas Party.
• Sunday Lesson focusing on Spiriual and practical ways to approach resolutions: Dec. 29, 10 a.m.
Youth Ministry of Exaltation of the Holy Cross Church (420 Main Rd., Hanover Twonship)
• 2nd Annual Christmas Cookie Walk: Dec. 14, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m. Cost is $8. For more information or to purchase a ticket call 570.262.6413 or 570.814.6444.
2nd annual WVIA Travel Club Downton Abbey Tour:
May 23-28, 2014. Includes full day at Highclere Castle outside of Newbury, England, the setting for “Downton Abbey,” as well as high tea, daily breakfasts, air fare, 4-night stay and transportation. $2,749 per person based on double occupancy. 24 spaces available. Learn more at www.wvia.org or by calling Church Tharp at Trans World Travel at 570.344.9784 or 1.800.743.3217.
The Anthracite Hi-Railers Model Railroad Club (Routes 435 & 502 in Daleville, PA)
• O Gauge Train Display: Dec. 14, 28, Jan. 4, 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. Admission in free, but there will be a collection of donations of bathroom tissue, bath soap, facial tissues, multi-purpose househols cleaner, dishwashing liquid, laundry detergent, and toothe paste to benefit the North Pocono Dry Goods Pantry.
Black Bear Conservatory of Music (blackbearmusic.org, 570.226.7606, ext. 3)
• Women’s Choir: Dec. 12, 11:30 a.m., Hawley Senior Center, 12:30 p.m., Hamlin Senior Center
Registration for the Children’s or Women’s Choir is $50 for individuals/$75 for families or $25/$45 for families enrolled in private instruction at BBCM.
Chicory House and Folklore Society
• Contra dance featuring music by the band “Strings and Wings” with Todd Clewell on fiddle and clawhammer banjo, and Barb Schmid on fiddle, accompanied by Henry Koretzky on guitar, along with calling by Bob Nicholson: Jan. 4, 7 p.m., Church of Christ Uniting (776 Market St., Kingston). No partner or previous experience is necessary. Admission is “pay what you wish.” Come early at 6 for a pot-luck dinner.
Christmas in Gouldsboro
• Craft Show: Dec. 14, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Gouldsboro United Methodist Church (Route 507, Gouldsboro). For tables call Sue Klein, 570.842.6106.
Choral Arts of Luzerne County
• Sounds of the Season: Dec. 14, 7 p.m. at Stephen’s Pro-Cathedral, 35 S. Franklin St, Wilkes-Barre. Dec. 15, 3 p.m. at Christ Lutheran Church, 210 W. Green St, Hazleton. Tickets for both showings are $15 adults and $10 students and seniors. Reserved seating is provided for those purchasing tickets in advance. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 570.283.2000.
Choral Society of Northeast Pennsylvania
• A Ceremony of English Carols, 4 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 15 at St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, Scranton. Choral Society’s adult Choral Artists and youth Cantare Treble Choir sing Benjamin Britten’s classic a Ceremony of Carols and the traditional English Service of Lessons and Carols. The performance includes audience caroling, organ music and a wassail reception. Tickets are available at the door. Adults, $15. Ages 18 and under, free.
THE COOPERAGE PROJECT
(1030 Main St., Honesdale)
(Donations accepted and appreciated at the door at all events.)
• Contra Dance: Dec. 28, 7:30-10 p.m.
(60 E. Tioga Street, Tunkhannock, 570.996.1500, www.dietrichtheater.com)
• Holiday Camp: Dec. 27, 30, 9:30 a.m. - 11 a.m. Ages 5 -12, admission $25
• Sean Flynn concert: Dec. 30, 6-7 p.m.
First Night Scranton:
Dec. 31, 6 p.m.-midnight.
• Run Around Scranton: Dec. 19, 5 p.m., Geisinger-Community Medical Center (1800 Mulberry St., Scranton). For more info email email@example.com.
• Blood collection: Dec. 17, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Geisinger-Community Medical Center (316 Colfax Ave., Scranton). To schedule an appointment, call 1.866.996.5100 or visit geisingerbloodcenter.org.
• Diabetes Support Group: Dec. 13, 10-11 a.m., Geisinger-Community Medical Center (Professional Building, third floor Center for Diabetes Management). Call 570.969.7272 to register.
• A Matter of Balance: Managing Concerns about Falls, Tuesdays and Thursdays Jan. 21-Feb. 13, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Geisinger-Mountain View Care Center (2309 Stafford Ave., Scranton).
Glass—wine.bar.kitchen. at Ledges Hotel
(119 Falls Ave, Hawley. 570.226.1337, www.ledgeshotel.com/glass-wine-bar-bistro/)
• Live Music Friday with Rob Viola: Dec. 13, 8 p.m. - 11 p.m.
• Live Music Friday with Kevin Campion: Dec. 20, 8 p.m. - 11 p.m.
• Live Music Friday with Eric Rudy and Jen Kiesendahl: Dec. 27, 8 p.m. - 11 p.m.
• New Year’s Eve Roaring 20s Speakeasy Party & Dinner: Dec. 31, seating begins at 7:30 p.m. Period dress encourged. $65/early seating, $85/later seating.
Hawley Silk Mill (8 Silk Mill Dr., Hawley, PA.)
• First Friday: The first Friday of every month, 6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
(64 Ridgeway Drive, Dallas)
• Cooking Demonstration: Dec. 12, 6-7:30 p.m. $30 per person.
• Beer Tasting: Dec. 13, 5 p.m. - 8 p.m. Reservations are required, call 570.675.1134 ext 102.
• Free Holiday Bridal Show: Dec. 15, 1 p.m.
• New Year’s Eve party: Dec. 31, 7 p.m.-midnight. Dinner prices start at $40. Entertainment will be provided by Groove Train beginning at 9 p.m. Reservations can be made by calling 570.675.1134, ext. 100 or 106. Payment is due by Dec. 26.
Jessup Art Walk:
• Second Saturday of every month, 1 p.m. - 6 p.m. For more info visit jessupartwalk.info or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jewish Discovery Center
(216 Miller Road, Waverly. www.jewishnepa.com)
• Islam vs. the West, lecture by Israeli military intelligence analyst Dr. Mordechai Kedar: Jan. 12, 10:30 a.m.
Keyser Valley Community Center (corner of Keyser Ave. and Jackson St., Scranton)
• Pat O’Malley’s 12th Annual Free Christmas Party: Dec. 15, 1 p.m. - 3 p.m. Children from preschool through 5th grade are welcome to join in the party and meet Saint Nick. RSVP by Dec. 12, call 570.346.1828, please leave message of number of children attending.
Mill Market in the Hawley Silk Mill
(Suite #111, 8 Silk Mill Dr., Hawley, 570.390.4440, info@MillMarketPA.com, www.millmarketpa.com)
• Free tastings and demos: Every Saturday, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
• Adult Learners Open House: Jan 7, 4 p.m. - 7 p.m. held in Huntzinger and Alden Trust Rooms 218-219 of Sandy and Marlene Insalaco Hall. In case of inclement weather, the make-up day is Jan. 8, 4 p.m. - 7 p.m.
• “King’s Dream’’ by Key Arts Productions: Jan. 20, 7:30 p.m., Lemmond Theater.
Mohegan Sun at Pocono Downs
(1280 Route 315, Plains Twp.)
• Reality Check with “Dancing With The Stars” Derek Hough and Emma Slater: Jan. 19, Q&A at 3 p.m. in the Seasons Ballroom, public signing event at 4 p.m. on the Sky Bridge.
Mounty Airy Casino
(44 Woodland Road, Mount Pocono)
• Breakfast with Santa to benefit the United Way: Dec. 15, 9-11 a.m., Event Center. $5 per person, includes breakfast and a photo. Reservations are encouraged and can be made by calling 570.243.5100.
Northampton Community College
• “Off to War and Coming Home: Historical Perspectives on Military Veterans During and After Their Service: 1946 Present” presented by Rhodes Scholar Wes Moore: April 8, 7:30 p.m., Aruthur L. Scott Spartain Center.
The Osterhout Free Library
(71 S. Franklin St., Wilkes-Barre, www.osterhout.info, 570.821.1959)
• Merry Magazine Fund: Donations start at $5 and can be made anonymously or in someone’s name. A gift of $20 or more will allow the donor to select a favorite magazine and be recognized the entire year with a plate in each 2014 magazine issue. For more information contact 570.821.1959.
76 University Drive , Hazleton, 570.450.3000, www.hn.psu.edu)
Pittston Memorial Library (47 Broad St. 570.654.9565, email@example.com)
• Lego Club: Every Monday, 4 p.m.
• Grandparents Support Group: Fourth Monday of each month, 12 p.m.
• Crochet Clube: Tuesday at 10 a.m. and Thursday at 6 p.m.
• Adult Book Club: Dec. 16, 7 p.m. will be discussing “A Christmas Carol” by Charles Dickens. Copies of the book are available at the front desk.
• Gingerbread House: Dec. 16, 6 p.m. Kids 5 years and up are welcome. Call library to register.
• Science Club: Dec. 19, 4 p.m. Kids 7 years and up are welcome. Call library to register.
• Cash in the New Year: Dec. 19, 5 p.m. - 7 p.m. Reservations are required, call 570.654.9565 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Scranton Cultural Center
(420 N. Washington Ave., Scranton, 570.346.7369, scrantonculturalcenter.org)
• Creative and Performing Arts Academy: Jan. 11, Session I, 10 a.m.; Session II, 11:30 a.m. Free.
Timmy’s Town Center
(Mall at Steamtown, Scranton. 570.341.1511, timmystowncenter.org )
Museum hours: Mondays, Wednesdays-Saturdays, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Sundays noon-4 p.m. $3 per person; free, children under two.
The University of Scranton
(800 Linden St., Scranton, 570.941.7400, scranton.edu)
• Scranton Brass Orchestra under the direction of Cheryl Boga and Mark Gould: Jan. 5, 7:30 p.m., Houlihan McLean Center.
• Financial Aid Workshop: Jan. 14, 6:30 p.m., Moskovitz Theater, DeNaples Center. Free for prospective students and their parents. Snow date: Jan. 21, same time and location. Call 570.941.7701.
Waverly Community House
(1115 N. Abington Rd., Waverly, waverlycomm.org)
• Breakfast with Santa and Annual Christmas Party: Dec. 14, 10 a.m. Tickets $10
Children and teen etiquette classes:
• “Great Events”: Dec. 21, 10-11:30 a.m. Ages 4-7. $30.
• “Great Events”: Dec. 21, noon-2 p.m. Ages 8-14. $30.
(228 Wyoming Ave., Kingston)
• Civic Orchestra program featuring the works of Mendelssohn, Britten, Smetana and Bridge: Jan. 12, 8 p.m.; Jan. 13, 8 p.m., Sette LaVerghetta Auditorium at Marywood University, Scranton.
• Wind Ensemble and Jazz Band Annual Winter Concert: Jan. 14, 7:30 p.m., Buckingham Performing Arts Center, Sprague Avenue, Kingston.
• Fine and Performing Arts Department Annual Winter Instrumental Concert, featuring the Sem Orchestra, String Ensemble, Percussion Ensemble and Handbell Choir: Jan. 19, 2 p.m., Great Hall of Wyoming Seminary.
Eckley Miners’ Village
(located nine miles east of Hazleton, just off Route 940; 570.636.2070; www.eckleyminers.org)
• Walking tours: Monday through Saturday, 9am-5pm. Sunday, noon-5pm.
Old Jail Museum
(128 W. Broadway, Jim Thorpe. 570.325.5259. www.TheOldJailMuseum.com.)
TOURS: Through Labor Day, daily (closed Wednesday), noon to 4:30 p.m. $6, adult; $5, senior over 65 and high school; $4, children ages 6-12; free, children under 5.
Steamtown National Historic Site
(I-81 to Exit 53, Scranton: 570.340.5200 or 888.693.9391, www.nps.gov/stea.)
• Holiday Exhibit: Children’s toys from 1920s-1960s: Dec. 6 - Dec. 30 at Changing Exhibits Gallery.
• Santa Claus: Dec. 14, 15, share cookies and hot chocolate and send your last minute wishes at the North Pole mailbag. All events are included in the Park’s daily entrance fee.
Balance Yoga & Wellness
(900 Rutter Ave., Forty Fort. 570.714.2777, balanceyogastudio.net)
• Free yoga from Jan. 1-7
• Quilting for Kids: Tumbling Blocks: Wednesdays through Dec. 11, 3:30-5 p.m. Ages 6 and up. $6 per class, fabric is free.
• Quilting for Everyone: Tumbling Blocks: Wednesdays through Dec. 11, 6-7:30 p.m. Ages 13 and up. $6 per class, fabric is free.
Classes for Adults
• Decorative Painting: Dec. 11, 18, noon-3 p.m. Ages 16 and up. $20 per class plus cost of painting surface.
• Writers’ Group: Thursdays, 7-8:30 p.m. Ages 18 and up.
Endless Mountains Zendo
(104 Hollow Road, Stillwater. 570.925.5077, email@example.com)
• New Year’s Eve Zen Meditation and Candlelight Ceremony: Dec. 31, 8:30 p.m.-2 a.m.
Freestyle hand drumming
Held every month on the second and fourth Saturdays at Everything Natural health food store, 426 South State Street, Clarks Summit. All ages and newcomers welcome. No experience required. Drums and percussion provided. Attend anytime between 1:00-4:00PM.
Georgiana Cray Bart art classes
(123 Brader Dr., Wilkes-Barre. 570.947.8387, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.georgianacraybart.com)
• Adults (ages 13 and up): Mon., Tues., noon to 4 p.m.
• Teens: Wed., 6-9 p.m.
Private classes also available.
Gymboree Play & Music
• Family Art Class: Beginning Dec. 12, 2:30 p.m. For children 24 months to 5 years old. Space is limited and registration is required. For more info or to pre-register call 570.208.2908.
Inner Peace Health, Healing, and Wellness
(Route 315, Plains Township. 570.208.1511, email@example.com)
• Christmas Celebration: Dec. 19, 6 p.m. Free.
• Dynamic Kundalini: Dec. 23, 7 p.m. $10.
• Take the 2 Week Challenge: Dec. 27, 6:30 p.m. $25
• Vision Board Class: Dec. 28, 1 p.m. $15.
• Yoganada’s Way: Dec. 30, 7 p.m. $15.
Pocono Arts Council
(18 N. Seventh St., Stroudsburg. 570.476.4460. www.poconoarts.org)
Save $10 on each class by registering early. Register for January 2014 classes on or before Dec. 15, 2013 and enjoy a $10 savings on each class.
• Oil Painting: Thursdays 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Starting Jan. 9. Tuition: Member $75/Non-member $85, Senior Member $65/Non-member $70
• Acrylic Painting: Mondays 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Starting Jan. 6. Tuition: Memeber $85/Non-member $95, Senior Member $75/Non-member $80
• Intermediate Watercolor: Sundays 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. 4 week class starting Jan. 5. Tuition: Member $110/Non-member $120, Senior Member $90/Non-member $95
• Jazz Improvisation: Jan 7, 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Tuition: Member $20/Non-member $25, Senior Member $15/Non-member $20
• Basic Drawing: Wednesdays 6:30 p.m. - 8 :30 p.m. 4 week class starting Jan 8. Tuition: Memner $75/Non-member $85, Senior Member $65/Non-member $70
• Mixed Media: Thursdays 1 p.m. - 3 p.m. 4 week class starting Jan 9, Tuition: Member $60/Non-member $65, Senior Member $50/Non-member $55
• Impressionist Winter Landscape: Jan 11, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. Tuition: Member $40/Non-member $50, Senior Member $30/Non-member $35. Material fee $12.
• Create Your Own Professional Advertisments in Photoshop: Jan 14 and 15, 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Tuition: Members $40/Non-members $50, Senior Members $30/Non-members $35
Monthly painting meetings, all held at 10 a.m. at Chestnuthill Township Park building, Rt. 715, Brodheadsville:
Sil-Lum Kung-Fu & Tai-Academy
(509 Pittston Avenue, (3rd floor). Private classes are available. For more info contact: Master Mark Seidel, 570.341.8089.)
• Adult classes: Tuesday & Thursday, 7-8 p.m; Saturday & Sunday, 10-11 a.m.
• Children’s classes (ages 9 & up): Saturday, 11 a.m.-noon
• Yang Style Tai-Chi Chuan Adult classes: Saturday & Sunday, 11 a.m.-noon
Thrive Wellness Center
(647 Wyoming Ave, Kingston)
• Thrive Book Study: Every Saturday morning, 8:30-9:30 a.m. Currently reading “The China Study.”
Wudang Swordsmen Academy
(269 S Washington Street, Wilkes-Barre, 570.630.0088, www.WudangSwordsmen.com, info@WudangSwordsmen.com)
• Wudang Taijiquan (traditional tai chi): Mon., Wed., 6:10-7:30 p.m.
• Wudang Gongfu (internal kung fu): Tue., Thu., 6:10-7:30 p.m.
• Youth Kung Fu (ages 10-13): Mon., Wed., 5:00-6:00 p.m.
• Baguazhang (Eight Trigram Palm): Sun., 10:50 a.m.-12:50 p.m.
• Cardio Kung Fu: Mon., Wed., 10:00-11:00 a.m.
• Tai Chi for Health: Tue., Thu.,10:00-11:00 a.m.
• Daoist Sitting Meditation: Sun., 4:30-5:30 p.m.
• Morning Seated Qigong (meditation & breathwork): Tue., Thu., 9:00-9:50 p.m.
• Pushing Hands Circle (open to all tai chi players in the area): Sun., 3:00-4:00 p.m.
• Open Wudang Training Hall: Sun., 1:00-3:00 p.m.
Delaware Highlands Conservancy
Guided eagle-viewing bus trips: Seats on trips are limited, and reservations are required. $15, members; $20, non-members. Call 570.226.3164 or 845.583.1010 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
• Free Eagle Day: Jan. 25, 1-4 p.m., PPL’s Lake Wallenpaupack Environmental Learning Center, Hawley.
• Feb. 1: Tour with NEPA Audubon Society, 9 a.m.noon. Call Bob at 570.676.9969 or e-mail email@example.com for reservations.
• Feb. 8: 9 a.m.-noon
• Feb. 15: Marion “Becky” Finch Memorial Excursion, 9 a.m.-noon.
Nescopeck State Park
(1137 Honey Hole Rd., Drums, 570.403.2006)
• First Day Hike: Jan. 1, 10 a.m. 5-mile hike that includes parts of Nescopeck, Creekside, and Woodland Way Trails. Meet outside park office. To register contact Karen at 570.868.8153.
• Junior Bird Club Eagle Watch: Jan. 4, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Dress for the weather and bring a lunch, drink, and snacks for the day. Carpool from the park office. The Junior Bird Club is open to kids ages 9 and up and meets several times throughout the year. There is a one-time fee of $5 for new members. This program is sponsored by the Greater Wyoming Valley Audubon Society. Register by calling 570.403.2006.
• Nescopeck State Park Winter Trails Day Hike: Jan. 11, 9 a.m. Register by calling 570.403.2006. Meet at park office.
• Hickory Run State Park Winter Trails Day Hike: Jan. 11, 1:30 p.m. Register by calling 570.403.2006. Meet at Hickory Run State Park office.
• Eagle Watch: Jan. 16, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Ages 18 and up. Limited space. Register by calling 570.403.2006. Meet at park office.
Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center
• Bereavement Support Group: 7 week starting Nov. 6. Day sessions 2 p.m. - 3:30 p.m., evening sessions 6 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Nar-Anon Family Group Meetings
• Sun. 7 p.m. Clear Brook Bldg. (rear), Forty Fort; Wed., 7 p.m. United Methodist Church, Mountaintop. 570.288.9892.
Send your listings to WBWnews@civitasmedia.com, 90 E. Market St., Wilkes-Barre, Pa., 18703, or fax to 570.831.7375. Deadline is Mondays at 2 p.m. Print listings occur up until three weeks from publication date.