A farewell to summer in 6 beers
First Posted: 8/28/2014
As the unofficial end to summer, Labor Day has come and gone, and it is time to give one last toast to the summer of 2014. While it was far from the hottest summer on record, it was a great one and hopefully you had your fill of great summer beers, but if not you have one last chance. So grab any of these great summer beers and raise a glass!
1. Anderson Valley- Summer Solstice: This beer is lovingly described as cream soda for adults and it is a very accurate description. The rich creamy body and smooth mouthfeel make this a dream beer to have on hand whether relaxing poolside or outside doing your final lawn maintenance for the season.
2. Bell’s Brewery- Oberon Ale: Bell’s has made Oberon a summer classic for many craft beer lovers. The sweet wheat malt is balanced perfectly against the subtle spicy bite from the hops. Oberon Ale is a truly thirst quenching beer on warm summer days.
3. 21st Amendment- Hell or High Watermelon: This is yet another summer classic for many craft beer lovers. The watermelon character finds a perfect home in this wheat beer and the 4.9% ABV also helps this beer become a true go to for beer drinkers as it is far from a one and done beer.
4. Dogfish Head Brewey- Festina Pêche: The tart qualities of the Berliner Weiss style have always been a favorite for many drinkers, but the addition of the peach imparts a new twist on a class style, something Dogfish Head loves to do! While this beer may be called unusual by some, it is certainly enjoyable and highly drinkable on summer days!
5. Bear Republic Brewing Company- Café Racer 15: This 9.75% ABV Double IPA is one many hopheads look forward to each summer. A very strong aroma featuring many craft beer lovers’ favorite hops is backed with a strong malt backbone giving this beer a fantastic dry finish. It is very easy drinking despite the high ABV, not the typical light summer beer, but an absolute must try for IPA fans!
6. Deschutes Brewery- Twilight Ale: While the IPA has become the darling of craft beer drinkers, a crisp Pale Ale will do the trick just fine in the summer. Twilight Ale uses the wonderful Amarillo hop which imparts an invigorating quality to this beer; it is a must to have in your fridge during the summer!
While many of your favorite beer sellers are fully stocked with fall beers, summer does still have some impact left on us. So enjoy what is left of the warm summer weather by opening a cold one and give one final cheers to summer before the bitter cold closes in around us!