6 scary good beers
First Posted: 10/26/2014
With Halloween upon us and all the pumpkin and Oktoberfest beers consumed, it seems like a good time to discuss some scary Halloween themed beers. These beers are not simply scary because they are produced to be kitschy Halloween themed beers, in fact many are available year round, but rather these beers are scary because they are so good.
1. Avery Brewing Co. – Rumpkin: Avery has been brewing this monster pumpkin ale for a few years now with an ABV that ranges from 15%- 18% yearly; this year’s batch is 16.7% ABV. This beefed up pumpkin ale is barrel aged in used rum barrels that imparts hints of rum and a high ABV to this delicious pumpkin ale, a must try for true pumpkin beer aficionados. Also, if you are a fan of darker beers try their newest pumpkin ale Pump[KY]n, which is a bourbon barrel aged pumpkin porter!
2. Clown Shoes Brewing Co. – Undead Party Crasher: This beer has a bit of a story behind it as far as how the name came to be, but you can research that one yourself. Undead Party Crasher is an American Imperial Stout that is full of creamy chocolate and coffee notes with a 10% ABV that is completely hidden. The full body and incredibly smooth mouthfeel make this a beer that is a must try for fans of stouts, Clown Shoes strikes again with another fantastic beer!
3. Left Hand Brewing Co – Wake Up Dead: Left Hand Brewing has gained a reputation for delicious stouts, try their Milk Stout if you don’t believe that statement! Wake Up Dead is a 10.2% ABV Russian Imperial Stout with dark chocolate flavors mixing with hints of coffee, black licorice, and hints of dark red fruits. Rich and dark descriptors abound in this beer that is very easy drinking and if you want a version that is even more easy drinking you can now find Wake Up Dead available on Nitro in the bottle, it make this smooth beer even smoother and creamier, a must try!
4. Starr Hill Brewery – Sabbath: IPA’s are certainly a perfect beer for warmer months but as the chilly weather comes in and dark beer season approaches what is an IPA lover to drink? Black IPA’s of course are a perfect fall/winter style to enjoy, but some breweries are brewing less than enjoyable versions of this style. However, Starr Hill’s Sabbath is a perfect example of the style. Notes of bitter chocolate and coffee are balanced perfectly with pine and citrus hops that make for an incredibly easy drinking beer that is perfect for IPA and dark beer lovers alike!
5. Spring House Brewing Co.- Seven Gates Pale Ale: Seven Gates is a beer that is best discussed through the brewery’s own press release: The story of the Seven Gates comes from rural Pennsylvania, not far from the Spring House Brewery. According to the legend, a mental asylum for the criminally insane stood in the middle of a dense forest. Surrounding the asylum were seven concentric gates, preventing would-be escapees. One terrifying night, the asylum caught fire, causing the inmates to flee into the menacing forest. As the tale goes, the former asylum residents were trapped by the seven gates and eventually succumbed to the perils of the forest. The locals swear that the tormented souls of the inmates will torture anyone brave enough to attempt passage through the Seven Gates of the forest. Spring House Brewing Co. honors the local legend by producing a terrifyingly delicious brew that is as familiar as a friendly forest, yet possesses a mysterious quality that will haunt you from the first taste. The enormous, hopped flavor and the meticulous craftsmanship that goes into each bottle will have you believing that the master brewer must be a direct descendent of the former asylum residents. Seven Gates features Centennial, Citra and Amarillo hops. So yes, try this beer!
6. New Holland Brewing Co. – Ichabod Ale: No Halloween beer list would be complete without a pumpkin beer and what’s better than one whose theme comes from the classic Halloween story “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.” The rich notes of pumpkin are apparent throughout this beer and while it comes in at 5.5% ABV, it is still full of rich malts and aroma that make it a go to beer for any Halloween party!
Every beer on this list is not only perfect for Halloween but all are also extremely enjoyable beers any time of the year. Hunt each of these beers down and enjoy each this Halloween. However, be warned though, these beers are almost addicting with how good they are and that can be quite scary!